Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes ..NOT VEGAN/VEG
# 1 C. whole wheat flour
# 1/2 C. cake flour
# 1 t. baking soda
# 2 t. baking powder
# 1/4 t. salt
# 1 t. ground cinnamon
# 1/2 t. ground ginger
# 1/2 t. ground nutmeg
# 1 C. buttermilk
# 1 C. canned pumpkin puree
# 2 eggs
# 2 T. oil
# 1 t. vanilla
# 2 T. dark brown sugar
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the first eight ingredients (whole wheat flour through nutmeg). In a separate bowl, whisk together the last six ingredients (buttermilk through brown sugar).
2. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and blend together with a wooden spoon until just combined. Lumps are ok, just make sure all the flour on the bottom of the bowl is mixed in. If batter seems too thick to pour, you can gently stir in a little more buttermilk.
3. Drop pancakes by ladleful onto a medium-hot griddle. Pancakes are ready to turn when the edges start to look a little dry and you can see small bubbles forming on the surface.
- You may substitute all-purpose flour for the cake flour if that’s all you have on hand.
- You may also use only whole wheat flour, just increase whole wheat to 1 1/2 cups and omit cake flour; pancakes will be just a bit heavier.
- Light brown sugar or white sugar may be substituted for dark brown sugar.
- If you have it on hand, 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice can be used in place of the cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.