General Detox Baths/Flushes/Etc.…
Detoxing makes you feel better and rids your body of toxins that can cause health problems.
But there are myriad ways to detox, from fasting to eliminating all but certain foods for a specific period of time.
All such programs seek to remove poisons from your bloodstream, liver, kidneys and other body tissues–
–which we all have in our system thanks to the processed foods we eat, polluted air we breathe, and various other means by which we are being poisoned.
Below are some recipes for general detoxing of the body.
Detox Bath Recipe
1 cup of sea salt
1 cup of Epsom salt
2 cups of baking soda
- Mix all dry ingredients together thoroughly.
This mixture can be stored in an airtight container until use.
- When you are ready to use your detox bath, fill a foot basin or a bucket with hot or warm water.
The water should be warm, but not too hot. You should be able to comfortably place your feet into the water.
- As you fill the bucket or basin, pour the salt mixture in, so that everything will mix thoroughly.
Approximately one-quarter of a cup of the detox mixture should be used for a foot bath.
- Make sure you are sitting in a relaxing place.
- Sit with your feet soaking in the water mixture for approximately 30 minutes.
This mixture will help in releasing toxins from your body through the soles of your feet.
- Use a natural fiber foot brush to remove debris from your feet after the bath.
This will help remove any remaining toxins from the bottoms of your feet.
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water after brushing.
- You can rub the soles of your feet in with aloe vera gel afterward.
- For maximum results, use the bath every night for seven days.
- After the first seven days, switch to doing a foot bath twice a week for 30 days.
- After that, you can opt to taking a foot bath once a week for maintenance.
Lots of spas charge big bucks for detoxifying bath treatments like salt baths.
The salt water helps the body cleanse through the pores of your body.
So plan a date to do a little detoxing of your own at home with a relax salt bath!
Things You’ll Need
1/3 C Epsom salt
1/3 C Sea Salt
1/3 C Baking Soda
3 drops Lavender essential oil (optional, for added relaxation)
- Start off by making your bath environment peaceful, calm, and dimly lit. Light candles, and play soft relaxing music.
- Let everyone in your home know your taking a bath, don’t disturb you!
- Next run your water. It’s better to run a hotter bath for the salt to have a better effect detoxifying your body.
- Add your Epsom salt, then your sea salt, and baking soda.
- Three drops of Lavender essential oil will help you relax better. You add any oil if you would like to replace the Lavender.
- Soak for at least 15 to 20 minutes letting the salt detox the pores in your body.
- Listen to your calming music, or even read a book while soaking.
- Have fun, enjoy it and relax!
Tips & Warnings
You can add bubble bath if you want. It will not interfere with the salts.
Ginger Bath Detox
Ginger is a natural spice that flushes out toxins, helps with eliminating pain and restores energy to your body.
Since a ginger detox bath opens up your pores, you may experience cold-like symptoms the next day.
Don’t worry, it’s just your body releasing toxins.
You will need the following ingredients for the ginger detox bath:
1/8 cup of fresh grated or powdered ginger (from your local supermarket or health food store),
a body brush for rubbing your skin
1 cup of Epsom salts (optional)
Your bathtub should be clean and free of any soap residue.
Try to use natural cleaning products to clean the tub if needed.
Preparing & Taking the Ginger Detox Bath
Fill the tub with as much hot water as you can stand. Add the ginger to the water. If desired, add Epsom salts (this will help reduce the cold-like symptoms you may experience the next day). After the tub is full, get in: after about 15 minutes you will start sweating. Start rubbing all areas of your body with a body brush 20 times using a clockwise circular motion. Start with each arm, then move on to your chest and proceed down over other parts of your body. You will feel hot and sweaty. Relax in the tub for the remainder of the 30 minutes. Do not exceed 30 minutes in the ginger detox bath.
After the Ginger Detox Bath
Get out of the tub and dry off roughly with a towel until your skin is red. This produces even more heat and sweat for the further release of toxins from your body. Next, wrap yourself in a large towel or clean sheet. Climb into bed and cover up. You will sweat and release more toxins. Don’t be alarmed; this is part of the detoxing process.
Precautions & Warnings
Before taking the ginger detox bath, remove any nail polish you are wearing from both fingers and toes.
Also, remove any acrylic nails.
The chemicals in nail polish and acrylic nails are absorbed by the body and the purpose of the bath is to detox and remove poisons and foreign chemicals from the body.
After the bath, if you plan to do the ginger detox bath the next night, skip applying any nightly face creams and lotions before bed.
Clay Detox Baths
Bentonite clay is a natural toxin remover that pulls out body waste, chemicals and heavy metals from the pores of your skin.
Bentonite clay detox baths can help you rid your body of years of toxic buildup, aid in illness recovery and help you maintain a healthier, more vibrant lifestyle.
A week before your scheduled clay detox bath, you will want to refrain from eating white sugar and white flour, desserts, baked goods, heavy dairy products and heavy fried foods. Eat a light, simple diet that includes fresh fruit, vegetables and herbal-cleansing teas, and drink plenty of water to prepare your body to receive the full benefits of the clay detox bath.
You can either choose to do an outside, summertime clay detox bath or an inside, wintertime clay bath.
a five-pound box of Bentonite clay,
one bottle of sesame oil,
one large mixing bowl,
one old large spoon,
a swim suit and
- an old, large bath towel.
- Drink a glass of filtered water.
Put on your swim suit and bring the rest of your materials outside.
Ideally, the temperature outside will be over 90 degrees, so that the sun will warm up your body and open up your pores.
- Pour one half of the five-pound box of Bentonite clay into your mixing bowl.
- Add water and stir the mixture until you achieve a mud-like consistency.
- Beginning with your feet, apply the mixture to your skin.
Do not apply the mixture to your genital area, as your skin is very sensitive there.
However, you can apply the mixture to your breasts and buttocks underneath your bathing suit.
Don’t forget to apply the mixture to your underarms, and have someone else apply it to your back.
You may or may not want to apply the clay mixture to your scalp as it is very hard to get clay out of your hair.
However, if you color your hair regularly, the clay will pull the chemical dyes from your scalp.
- By now the clay will be drying and tightening your skin.
- You should keep re-applying the wet mixture over the dry clay until you have used all of the mixture that is in the bowl.
- Keep the clay on for at least 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, wet your bath towel down with the hose and then wet your body down with the hose.
- Use the towel to rub the wet clay off of you.
- Take your time getting as much clay off of you as you can.
- Then, you can go inside and take a shower to remove the clay residue from your skin and hair.
- After you have washed up, rub the entire bottle of sesame oil over your body to prevent your skin from drying out.
- Drink another glass of filtered water
- Relax for the rest of the day.
You will need all of the materials listed in the summer bath section
along with a wash cloth,
a large garbage bag and
three rolls of paper towels.
- Prepare your clay mixture as stated above and place it within arm’s reach of your bathtub.
- Undress and fill your bathtub with four inches of the hottest water that you can stand.
- Get into the tub to allow the water to warm up your body and open your pores.
- Apply the mixture to your entire body, skipping your genital areas.
- Remain in the bath tub for at least 30 minutes.
- Then, use your wash cloth to remove as much of the clay as you can.
- Shower off the rest of the clay residue
- apply the whole bottle of sesame oil to your body.
- Drink a glass of filtered water.
- Let the clay bathwater stay in the tub for two to three hours
- Use the bucket to remove the water and flush it down the toilet.
- When most of the water is out of the tub, use the paper towels and the garbage bag to remove the clay from your bathtub.
Natural Body Flush Detox
The Master Cleanse
There are a number of ways to naturally flush out your system.
The most well-known may be the Master Cleanse, also known as the lemonade diet or the maple syrup fast.
The Master Cleanse was created by Stanley Burroughs in 1941 but really became popular in recent years as celebrities used it to lose weight quickly and spread the word. The Master Cleanse was not originally meant to be a weight-loss plan, however. It was designed as a natural way to do a full-body detox.
You can do the Master Cleanse for three, seven, 10 or more days.
The instructions are simple: For whatever period of time you choose, you consume nothing but a drink made of:
The Three Day Master Cleanse
Things You’ll Need
Organic lemons (approximately 18 for a three-day supply)
Grade B organic maple syrup
Pure filtered water
Unrefined or not iodized sea salt, or Epsom salt
Laxative tea (optional)
Herbal tea (optional)
Acquire the right ingredients. The goal of the Master Cleanse is to detoxify the body, so it’s important that the ingredients used are free of toxins.
The Master Cleanse Lemonade is made from:
- maple syrup and
- cayenne pepper
Use pure filtered water for the recipe instead of tap water, which can contain chlorine and other chemicals.
Likewise, use organic lemons, cayenne pepper and maple syrup.
WARNINGS & TIPS
- Ease into the diet. Going straight into the Master Cleanse with no preparation can be a shock to your body.
- Three days before you begin the Master Cleanse, limit your daily dairy and red meat intake while increasing your fruit and vegetable intake.
During this stage, try to eat organic or raw foods, which will begin the detox process.
You can begin acclimating your body to a liquid diet by eating soups and broths during this time period, and make sure you are drinking plenty of water.
- Prepare the Master Cleanse Lemonade. During the cleanse period, your nutritional intake will come from the Master Cleanse Lemonade, which is fairly simple to make. To make one day’s supply, simply combine the following ingredients:
- 60 ounces filtered water,
- 12 tbsp. grade B maple syrup,
- 12 tbsp. lemon juice and
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper.
Start the diet. Each day of the diet, begin with a “saltwater flush”. Combine one liter of lukewarm water with 2 tsp. of un-iodized sea salt. The salt water will act as a laxative, which may take anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours to “flush” out your system. If you prefer, a laxative tea may be used in place of or in addition to the saltwater flush. Laxative teas, like senna tea, may be found in almost any grocery store. Throughout the day, drink your Master Cleanse Lemonade. Try to drink 60 ounces of the lemonade a day. During the cleanse, you can also drink as much water as you want. You may also drink decaffeinated herbal tea during the cleanse.
- Ease out of the diet. Easing out of the Master Cleanse diet is extremely important. During the cleanse, your body has become accustomed to a liquid diet and may not be prepared for a sudden return to your normal intake. During the first day, drink only juices and broths to prepare your body to come off a liquid diet. On the next day, you may eat fruits and vegetables. On the third day you can return to your regular diet, but try to stay away from processed foods, which contain the toxins you’ve just eliminated.
Some directions for the Master Cleanse also recommend drinking a saltwater mixture in the morning or evening as an additional way to flush out your system.
2 tbsp. of sea salt dissolved into 32 oz. of water
Liver and Gallbladder Flush
If you have gallstones and want to specifically target your liver and gallbladder you can do the apple juice flush.
This is a seven-day liver and gallstone detox program. Like the Master Cleanse, it is a simple diet using fresh ingredients.
To do the gallbladder flush:
- eat four to six apples and
- drink four to five glasses of organic, unfiltered apple juice for the first six days.
You can continue eating regular meals, as well, although some people fast from all other food while they follow it.
- Each night before bed, you consume:
- olive oil,
- lemon juice and
- Lie on your right side as you sleep for best results.
- On the seventh day repeat the process but add a morning enema to your routine.
- This not only detoxes your liver and gallbladder but, if you have gallstones, they’ll be expelled.
Natural Cleansing & Detox
Drinking Water and Other Fluids
By drinking fluids you benefit the body in several ways. The body needs a daily intake of liquids to function. Water also reduces the concentration of poisons and toxins in the body. The fluids also enter all areas of the body from cells to tissues to organs and then flush away debris and other harmful wastes. Each day drink 64 ounces of fluids. In addition to water, you can also drink vegetable juices and fruit juices. But avoid caffeine and alcohol during the total body cleansing.
As part of the detox process you should eat fiber to increase the frequently of bowel movements.
- Many toxins and wastes are in the large intestine.
- Fiber adds bulk to stools and makes them soft, so they can easily pass through the rectum.
- Fiber also relieves constipation.
Dr. Robert Schulze, a medical doctor who is also a proponent of alternative healing, believes:
” … most diseases and illnesses are caused by a full colon, and once the colon is cleaned of fecal matter, many diseases, from autoimmune disorders and cancers to heart and skin problems, can be cured or ameliorated. Diseases are caused by toxins remaining too long in the colon.”
High fiber foods are fruits and green, leafy vegetables.
According to the Mayo Clinic,
a person should have 20 to 35 grams of fiber every day to maintain proper colon health.
Not many people realize that exercising is a good way to detoxify the body, and since the body stores toxins in the fatty tissues of the body, shedding fat also removes toxins.
Any type of exercise is helpful to burning fat, and even you if usually lead a sedentary life, walking or yoga is doable for most people.
Aerobic exercises like running or cycling burns even more calories, and makes you sweat, accelerating the release of toxins through the pores.
When beginning body cleanses, many people start with the colon. Colon cleansing is recommended by Dr. Ben Kim for a number of ailments such as constipation and irritable bowel syndrome, and is considered a good all-around place to start detoxifying your system.
A simple colon cleanse is a water fast.
This can be too much for beginners, as the psychological and physical effects of not eating for several days can be difficult to handle.
But a water fast can promote colon cleansing with no need to buy special ingredients.
Water fasts are exactly what they sound like:
going for a certain number of days consuming nothing but pure water.
Juice and fruit fasting will also cause a cleansing of the colon.
In juice fasting, you consume only the juice of fresh (preferably organic) fruits for a certain amount of time, generally one or two weeks to thirty days.
Fruit fasting is a similar diet. Those on a fruit fast eat only fresh fruits for ten days to two weeks, or longer.
Homemade recipes for colon cleansing using only fruits, herbs and water
One recipe calls for:
- white raisins,
- senna (an herb) and
- rose hips extract.
The raisins and senna are boiled in 1 L of water each and then left to infuse for thirty minutes.
The raisins and senna are then filtered out, all the liquid poured into one container, and 200 g of rose hips added.
Drink 100 ml of the mixture daily.
Another recipe reputed to be good for colon cleansing is raw green soup:
- 2 to 3 cucumbers (peeled),
- 1 or 2 avocados,
- 1/2 of a yellow onion,
- the juice of half a lemon,
- 3 cloves of roasted garlic,
- 2 cups of vegetable stock,
- 1 tbsp. of cilantro,
- 1 tbsp. of parsley and
- 1 seeded jalapeno pepper.
All of the ingredients are blended together and consumed without heating.
Full Body Cleansing
If you prefer to not focus on one part of your body at a time, you can perform a full-body cleanse.
- blend dark, leafy greens such as spinach or kale
- water or juice
- a complimentary choice of fruit
One easy recipe for green smoothies is:
- 2 cups of fresh spinach,
- 2 seeded peaches,
- 1 cup of orange juice