THE UNSAVED LOOK LIKE THEY ARE SAVED INTRODUCTION A person may say, "I am saved by grace. I believe in Jesus. I teach the Gospel." Yet, even though they say these things and even teach the Gospel:
- IF THEY DO NOT LOVE THEIR BROTHER IN CHRIST, they will perish.
- IF THEY ARE NOT BORN-AGAIN, they will perish.
- IF THEY DO NOT FORGIVE THEIR BROTHER IN CHRIST, they will perish.
- IF THEY ARE NOT CONVERTED AND DO NOT BECOME AS LITTLE CHILDREN, they will perish.
- IF THEY DO NOT DENY THEMSELVES, AND PICK UP THEIR CROSS DAILY, AND FOLLOW JESUS, they will perish.
The list goes on and on.
I COUNSEL THEE TO BUY OF ME GOLD TRIED IN THE FIRE, THAT THOU MAYEST BE RICH; AND WHITE RAIMENT, THAT THOU MAYEST BE CLOTHED, AND THAT THE SHAME OF THY NAKEDNESS DO NOT APPEAR; AND ANOINT THINE EYES WITH EYESALVE, THAT THOU MAYEST SEE. AS MANY AS I LOVE, I REBUKE AND CHASTEN: BE ZEALOUS THEREFORE, AND REPENT. BEHOLD, I STAND AT THE DOOR, AND KNOCK: IF ANY MAN HEAR MY VOICE, AND OPEN THE DOOR, I WILL COME IN TO HIM, AND WILL SUP WITH HIM, AND HE WITH ME. TO HIM THAT OVERCOMETH WILL I GRANT TO SIT WITH ME IN MY THRONE, EVEN AS I ALSO OVERCAME, AND AM SET DOWN WITH MY FATHER IN HIS THRONE.
- If the world overcomes you, you lose.
Are you busy wiping off the eyesalve, rather than humbling yourself in a childlike manner and anointing your eyes with eyesalve that you may see?
- FEW CAN CORRECTLY DISCERN
WOE UNTO YOU, SCRIBES AND PHARISEES, HYPOCRITES! FOR YE ARE AS GRAVES WHICH APPEAR NOT, AND THE MEN THAT WALK OVER THEM ARE NOT AWARE OF THEM.
- They are blind leaders of the blind.
- They are called “graves.”
- They are leading people to hell.
Yet, Jesus tells us, they are as graves which APPEAR NOT.
- They do not appear to be as graves.
- They do not appear to be deceivers.
- They do not appear to be leading people to eternal death.
Jesus also tells us that men are not aware of them.
- Men do not understand these teachers are false ministers.
- Men do not understand these blind leaders are sending people to hell.
- These deceivers are so skillful, that they appear to be true.
- They appear to be real.
- They appear to be ministers of righteousness.
- It may be said, they appear to be true followers of Jesus.
- Some of these teachers are on the radio and can be heard on short-wave around the world.
- Some are famous evangelists that hold crusades and have altar calls.
- Some are college professors, teaching in Bible universities.
- Some are people you would never expect.
Paul tells of these, in 2 Cor 11:13-15-
FOR SUCH ARE FALSE APOSTLES, DECEITFUL WORKERS, TRANSFORMING THEMSELVES INTO THE APOSTLES OF CHRIST. AND NO MARVEL; FOR SATAN HIMSELF IS TRANSFORMED INTO AN ANGEL OF LIGHT. THEREFORE IT IS NO GREAT THING IF HIS MINISTERS ALSO BE TRANSFORMED AS THE MINISTERS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS; WHOSE END SHALL BE ACCORDING TO THEIR WORKS.
- it is no great thing if Satan’s ministers look like they are the ministers of righteousness.
- They often look like they are ministers of Jesus, but they are really wolves in sheep’s clothing.
- Some of Satan’s ministers call themselves APOSTLES of Christ.
- Some call themselves prophets.
- Some are ministers, teachers, preachers, and Bible school teachers.
- They appear to be true MINISTERS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS.
Again, most people are unable to discern or understand that they are really ministers of Satan. Many are fully persuaded they are followers of Jesus and follow them to “hell.”
- these false ministers are positive they are of God.
- They are positive they are saved.
- Even Jesus Himself could not cause them to believe they were not saved.
Often, Jesus would confront such blind teachers of the Law. He would tell them they were not of His Father; they were not of God. They were of the wicked one; their father was the devil; they would die in their sins, yet they did not believe Him and did not repent.
- Mt 15:8-they draw near to Me (to Jesus) with their mouth; they honor Jesus with their lips
- Mt 15:9-they worship Jesus, but they are not saved
- Lk 11:39-on the outside they look righteous and holy
- Lk 11:42-they tithe on everything
- Lk 11:43-they sit in important places; people greet them
- Lk 11:44-they do not appear to be unsaved; men are not aware that they are unsaved; men come to them; they appear to be something they are not
- Lk 11:45-they call Jesus, “Master”; they believe they are saved
- Lk 11:46-they have positions of authority; men obey them
- Lk 11:47-they build the graves of the prophets
- Lk 11:52-they have a form of Bible knowledge, yet are not saved
- Ro 10:2-they have zeal for God
- Lk 13:24-they seek to enter heaven
- Lk 13:25-they knock at God’s door; they pray and call upon the name of the Lord (Mt 7:21)
- Lk 13:26-they take communion; He (Jesus) taught in their streets
- Mt 7:21-they say to Jesus, “Lord, Lord”
- Mt 7:22-they prophesy in the name of Jesus; they cast out devils in the name of Jesus; they do many wonderful works in the name of Jesus, yet perish
- Lk 18:9-they trusted in themselves that they were righteous
- Lk 18:11-they pray long prayers (Lk 20:47); they give thanks to God; outwardly, they appear to be sinless
- Lk 18:12-they fast twice a week; they give tithes of all they possess
- Lk 20:46-they walk in long robes; people greet them in the market places; they have the highest seats in the synagogues; they sit in the chief rooms at the feasts; some are writers (or scribes) of the Bible, yet not saved
- Mt 23:2-they are religious leaders; they sit in Moses’ seat
- Mt 23:3-they have authority to command people what to do
- Mt 23:5-they look holy; they do works that look good; they dress beautifully
- Mt 23:7-they love to be called “rabbi” (or may love to be called “the treasurer, the secretary, or the preacher” of this church, or of many churches)
- 2 Cor 5:12-they glory in appearance
- Mt 23:7-10-people consider them to be God’s servants
- Mt 23:8-10-people call them, “master, father, rabbi”
- Mt 23:15-they travel long distances to save a person
- Mt 23:15-they save souls
- Mt 23:24-they are careful to judge the smallest things, while overlooking the weightier matters
- Mt 23:25-they make sure they appear holy
- Mt 23:26,27-they outwardly appear clean and pure; they appear to be beautiful
- Mt 23:29-they decorate the tombs of the prophets
- Mt 23:30-they declare themselves righteous, yet are not saved
- Acts 10:2-they fear God
- Acts 10:1-8,25-they have a humble attitude
- Acts 10:2-they give much alms; they prayed to God always
- Rev 2:2-these say they are apostles
- Acts 16:14-they worship God (Mt 15:9)
- Acts 16:17-they direct people to hear God’s servants
- 2 Cor 11:13-they are apostles, but false; they are workers, but deceitful; they transform themselves (their own way) into the apostles of Christ, as His ministers
- 2 Cor 11:15-they are transformed as the ministers of righteousness
- Titus 1:16-they profess that they know God
- 1 Jn 2:4-they say, “I know Him”
- 1 Jn 2:9-they say they are in the light, yet are not saved
In view of these Scriptures, how then can we possibly discern some of these? How can we determine they are not saved, when even the Bible shows it is nearly impossible to discern some of them?
- Ro 2:17-23-they boast of God they rely on the Law (or the Bible) they know His will they are instructed out of the Law they are confident they are a guide of the blind they are confident they are an instructor or teacher they boast of the Law
- Isa 1:11-15-they offer sacrifices they come before God they bring incense they keep the Sabbath and new moons they call solemn meetings they call assemblies they spread forth their hands they make many prayers
- Isa 29:13-they draw near to God with their mouth they honor God with their lips their fear toward God is taught by the precept of men
- Isa 58:2,3; 65:5; 66:5-they seek God daily they delight to know God’s ways, as one that did righteousness they ask ordinances of justice they delight in approaching to God they fast they afflict their soul they say they are holy they say, “let the Lord be glorified”; yet are not saved
- Isa 48:1,2-they swear by the name of the Lord they make mention of God they call themselves of the holy city they stay themselves upon God
- Ezek 33:31-they come unto God they sit before God as His people they hear God’s Word they show much love with their mouth
- Jere 12:1,2-they prosper they are happy they take root they grow and bring forth fruit Thou art near in their mouth
- Jere 37:3-they ask God’s people to pray for them (Ac 8:24)
- Mic 3:11-they lean upon the Lord they say, “is not the Lord among us?” they say, “none evil can come upon us”
- Jn 8:41-they say, “God is our Father”
- Jn 8:4-they call Jesus, “Master”
- Jn 8:5-they can quote God’s Word (showing some of them study God’s Word diligently) they are experts in the Law (or in God’s Word)
THE ONE WAY (BY GOD’S WORD AND GOD’S SPIRIT) TO DISCERN WHO IS SAVED AND WHO IS NOT
- they would not receive correction from God’s Word, as a little child, AND REPENT.
This is the one way that a person which has a good knowledge of the Scriptures, by God’s mercy and God’s Spirit, can discern who is saved and who is not.
- We can tell that some people who appear to be righteous are not saved, by their lack of thirst or hunger for God’s Word. If a person is not hungry for the milk of God’s Word that he may grow, then something is wrong.
However, many unsaved also hunger to study God’s Word, yet they are not saved, such as the scribes and Pharisees.
THE FRIEND OF THE BRIDEGROOM (Jesus), WHICH STANDETH AND HEARETH HIM, REJOICETH GREATLY BECAUSE OF THE BRIDEGROOM’S VOICE (or the voice and words of Jesus)?-Jn 3
- A friend of Jesus should rejoice, as the words of God come forth.
- A friend of Jesus should greatly crave God’s Word, so he can grow.
- He should want to study and meditate in God’s Word.
- God’s Word should excite him and bring him joy. A lack of enthusiasm to learn more of Jesus is a very bad indication, as we can see from God’s Word.
We can tell that some people who appear to be righteous are not saved, because of their lack of hunger and thirst for righteousness.
- Again, the one key thing that can reveal a person is not walking with God is, they will not receive correction from God’s Word, as a little child, and repent.
- They may disagree with the correction, or make excuses, or believe it is wrong; even when it is clearly right.
- They may justify themselves. They may be sure they are right and the correction does not fit their situation. They might say, “You do not understand my situation.” This is a much used saying among deceived people, which Satan puts in their thoughts. The darkness they are in makes it difficult (perhaps, impossible) for them to see the truth.
- They may say, over and over, they want correction; however, when correction comes in a certain area, they cannot receive it as truth and repent.
- They may pray.
- They may preach the Gospel.
- They may show much love.
- They may help the poor.
- They may praise and worship God.
- They may sing to God.
- They may do many great miracles in the name of Jesus.
- They may fast and give tithes and offerings.
- They may cast out devils.
- They may do everything in this huge list of Scriptures, but they will still perish.
- The one thing (or common denominator) among all who perish is, they would not humble themselves and receive correction from Jesus as He gave them the Word.
- They would not (or could not) humble themselves,as a little child before their Father and repent of certain things.
- CHILD-LIKENESS TO CORRECTION FROM GOD’S WORD (key sign of walking with God)
- AND HOW MUCH YOU WANT AND OBEY CORRECTION,
- BROKENNESS GODLY SORROW,
- LOVE FOR YOUR BROTHER IN CHRIST WHEN HE CORRECTS YOU IN TRUTH,