It’s that time of year – the spidies are emerging! Please be aware of the different types.
PLEASE ALL MY FRIENDS SHARE THIS!!!
I had the scare of my life because of what we assumed was a “cute” caterpillar was harmless and were proven wrong. The caterpillar in the pic (This is the exact one she had i contained it to show a doctor) is a hickory tussock moth caterpillar my girls have played with them before no problem come to find out after my youngest broke out in serious hives that these caterpillars are venomous!!!! my youngest licked it… why she wont tell us she says she she don’t know why and shes sorry. Anyway her face, lips, neck and belly broke out in hives. She is better now after some benadryl and bath but it could have been worse. This is what they said about these caterpillars:
The hairs on the caterpillar are long and bristle-like and spread out in tufts down the sides. Two long, sharp, black pencil-like hairs protrude near the front and rear of the creature, and these hairs are connected to poison glands, which excrete venom on contact.
Contact with the venom does not generally cause too much of a problem. A nettle or poison ivy-type rash often occurs, which can range from mild with slight reddening of the skin, to burning, swelling and pain, none of which should keep you away from your gardening duties for too long. Hypersensitive individuals may, of course, experience more severe symptoms that could include swelling and nausea. Washing the infected area with soap and water, taking antihistamines, or using ammonia, calamine lotion, or an ice pack can help to alleviate most minor symptoms fairly quickly. People who do experience more severe reactions, however, should seek expert medical advice as soon as possible.
PLEASE EVERYONE CAUTION AND DON’T LET YOUR KIDS PLAY WITH THEM THERE NOT FRIENDLY OR SAFE AND IT COULD BE SEVERE!!