DIY Skin Smoothing Mask
Monday, April 22, 2013
One of my most popular treatments when I was running my own esthetics business was a hydrating chocolate wasabi mask (a professional treatment). It was meant to soften, tone and temporarily reduce wrinkles and everyone loved it! I decided to play around with a few ingredients and make a wonderful DIY version. This mask smells like a cupcake bakery on your face and makes your skin feel so soft and youthful once you have rinsed it off. And if you want to lick the little bowl after you finish applying I will not judge you.
Benefits of this mask:
- The natural oils from the cocoa powder help smooth out wrinkles.
- Cocoa powder contains antioxidants that help clear out toxins in your skin, which can make you look older.
- The honey is incredibly moisturizing, but will not break out you. Read all about the benefits of honey here.
- Coconut oil is full of essential nutrients for your skin and is a proven antiseptic and antimicrobial agent. It is also proven to soften wrinkles and help acne.
What you will need:
- 2 tbs of cocoa powder
- 1 tbs of raw honey
- 1 1/2 tbs of organic coconut oil (melted)
*You want a paste like consistency so add a tiny bit more cocoa powder if needed.
Mix all the ingredients together. Apply to your skin with either clean fingertips or a soft facial brush. Leave on skin for 15-20 minutes. Remove with warm water and follow up with a toner and moisturizer.
DIY Spirulina Face Mask (The ultimate superfood for your skin)
Monday, August 19, 2013
Sometimes a little too much fun in the sun can leave your skin looking dry, dull and in need of a little moisture and TLC.
Spirulina, which is a blue green algae is a skin (and body) superfood that can help rejuvenate and repair damaged skin and give you back that healthy glow that you might be currently lacking.
Beauty Benefits of Spirulina:
- It is one of the richest sources of antioxidants.
- It contains chlorophyll, which helps cleans the skin and strengthen tissues.
- Helps the skin store moisture, which will help with elasticity and fine lines.
- It has soothing and calming effects, which are great if you have rosacea or sensitive skin.
- Can help eliminate acne causing bacteria.
What you need:
- 1/4 tsp of spirulina powder *
- a few drops of filtered water
*You can find spirulina at your local natural grocery store. I purchase mine from the bulk section and get just a little bit at a time. You can also get it in tablet form (you would crush up the tablets) or you can purchase it online here.
- Mix about 1/4 tsp of spirulina with a few drops of filtered water until you have a paste.
- Apply the mask to clean skin with a facial brush or clean fingertips.
- Leave on for 20 minutes and then remove with warm water and a soft facial cloth.
- Follow up with a toner and moisturizer.
For optimal results this mask can be done 2-3 times per week.
DIY Rejuvenating Green Tea Matcha Mask
Monday, January 7, 2013
A new year means a fresh start. A fresh start not only to your health but also to the way you take care of your skin. Incorporating a mask into your skin care regime is a great place to start. Maybe your skin needs a New Year’s boost. This incredible mask will do just that.
Matcha powder is a powerful antioxidant that will stimulate dead skin cells and improve tired, dull skin. This is one of my favorite “secret” (not so secret anymore) masks. It makes your skin feel and look like silk.
What you will need:
- Matcha green tea powder — I purchase mine from a local Asian Market. You can also find at a specialty health food store or online here.
* You can use aloe vera gel instead of water if your skin is dry.
- Mix one tsp of matcha powder with a few drops of either water or aloe vera gel until you have a paste. If your mask is too watery add more powder. If it is too sticky add more water.
- Apply the mask to your face with a soft facial brush.
- Leave on for 20 minutes and then remove with warm water and a soft washcloth.
- Follow up with a moisturizer.
For optimal results, this mask should be done 2-3 times per week .
Please come back and let me know what you think if you try this!
If you have any questions pertaining to this post please leave them below and I will do my best to answer.