INSECT BITE REMEDIES
Here’s some of the best home remedies for mosquito bites!
Because it’s summer & some of you just happen to be highly allergic to most insect bites, I hope these work well for you. Many of these remedies are also effective for cases of itchy skin or rashes.
Use these folk cures for bee stings, chigger bites, spider bites, flea bites, horse fly bites and even bed bug bites!
My first and favorite for insect bite relief is one I just learned recently and believe me, it works!
PLANTAIN – This short, broadleaf weed is common throughout North America and you’ve probably even tried to eradicate from your yard but it has many amazing healing properties including a remedy for insect bites.
It’s simple and very handy when your working in the yard, camping or doing anything outside!
Pick a leaf or two and chew them up a bit. Rub into the bite and hold it there several minutes. You can use a band-aid to hold it in place. You just made a plantain poultice! The itching will continue a while but before long you’ll forget it was there. This has worked on deer fly bites that usually make you miserable for a week or more!
If you have something against chewing a weed put some of your saliva on the bite then crush and roll the leaves in your hands and apply.
NOTE: Plantain is actually good for you but make sure you’re picking in an area that hasn’t been sprayed with any type of chemical. For this reason don’t pick near roadsides!
Here’s a list of other insect bite remedies. They work in the same way as the plantain but without the need to chew.
- RAW ONION – Hold a raw onion poultice on a bite or sting for several minutes. Works amazingly fast and great home remedy for bee stings too!
- RAW POTATO
- LAVENDER – Pure, organic lavender essential oil applied directly to the bite or sting will bring relief.
- ‘CLEAN’ MUD – Apply mud and let dry. No need to cover.
- VINEGAR – Apply often.
- BAKING SODA – Make a paste with baking soda & water.
- ECHINACEA TINCTURE – Apply directly to bite or sting. It has both antiseptic and numbing properties. Echinacea was the original snake-bite remedy before its fame at fighting colds. For snake bites it was used both internally and externally. Pack some in your travel kit for bed bug and mosquito bites remedies!
- OSHA ROOT TINCTURE – Another super tincture for any kind of bite or contact dermatitis.
- OIL OF OREGANO – Oil of Oregano, when used topically, can reduce inflammation and the itch. It was actually used as an anti-venom for serious bites long before modern medicine!
- BATH – If you are covered in bites try soaking in the tub with 2 cups of epsom salt or two cups of vinegar.
These natural insect bite remedies work on many types of bites and also many rashes.
Give one or two a try!